Sunday, November 13, 2011

Parking

We've all seen this sign. I search for it everytime we go somewhere. I also am always complaining about how difficult it is to find an empty parking space near this sign. This spring we bought a van with a lift on the side, which means we have to find parking spaces with the wider space on the side. One day last week we actually drove from one town to another to get groceries because I couldn't find parking. I know when you don't use these parking spaces it feels like there are too many saved for handicap parking, but trust me they're hard to come by.
My point is that if anyone knows how rare these spaces are I do. I also know the laws attach a hefty fine if you get caught parking in handicap parking space illegally.
So, Saturday my sister and I went shopping, Grace wasn't with us, but I was driving the wheelchair van. The first place we stopped at I happily found a parking space and was actually half way out of the van when I realized I was in a handicap space!! I couldn't believe that I, queen of parking police, was trying to park there. I moved the van and we had a good laugh about it. The next store we went to I headed straight for another handicap space! I managed to catch myself before I pulled into the space. We had another laugh at my expense. I have to wonder something...............how many times have I run to the grocery store without Grace, and parked in a handicap space without realizing what I was doing? How many people that really needed that space drove away or risked injury parking in a regular space?
I'm sure I will still be the queen of all complainers when I can't find a space, just think I'll be a little more aware of where I park when I don't have Grace with me.
 So if you see me parked in a space leave me a note asking    "Are you sure you should be parked here  :) " Because I never know what I'm doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment