Thursday, October 14, 2010

Wrong kind of Drama

Grace's drama class had their performance today for another school of younger kids from the community. Grace was the greeter as they entered the theatre. Unfortunately she felt like the opening show/a side show.
Almost every kid that came in stared at her. Some pointed and laughed, some made remarks. I wasn't out there with her to see all of it, but I could see them staring from the doorway. Need less to say, she had a rotten start to her day. I know it's unusual to see someone in a wheelchair, especially a kid, and she understands a short look, but when people point, whisper, and run into things because they are just plain staring it gets hurtful.
Wish people would tell their kids that if they see someone they are curious about they can politely ask them if they can ask why they're in a wheelchair or whatever the "difference" is.
I'm  proud of Grace she didn't want to stay, but she sat by the door and smiled at all 400 of those little boogers as they went by.
On the up side her class did an amazing job performing.

3 comments:

  1. So sorry, Grace. You are beautiful, and they are just STUPID! ;0)I really liked John's comment on FB. Grace is so blessed to have such awesome parents!

    OH - I love the No Recess 4 Moms t-shirt. I may have to get one of those.

    ReplyDelete
  2. People need to educate their kids better! Respect is not a hard thing to teach. What the heck?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so proud of Grace she rocks! I'm appalled that the parents and teachers haven't taught these kids to accept everyone's differences makes my blood boil!!

    ReplyDelete