Sunday, February 27, 2011

The smaller picture

Sometimes I think that as adults we get so caught up in the bigger picture that we've forgotten that our teens have a much smaller picture frame. While we put so much emphasis on grades, colleges, etc. Our kids are just trying to enjoy themselves.
When I think back to HS I don't think much of that I learned, what grades i got or should have gotten. My memories are of the crazy things I did. Who I hung out with, what we did with our time.
 We don't live in the same town as the HS my daughter attends, so about once a week I sit in the van and read a book, text with friends oh OK I'll admit to a lil catnap some days, while Grace hangs out with her friends. Some people think it sounds horrible just waiting a couple of hours for her. But it's not too bad, I want her to have time w/out me right beside her ( I have to be nearby in case she needs me for medical reasons). They are usually at the local sandwich shop, but this week they must have gotten bored and went for a walk. Now I'm not sure exactly what happened, but they came back to the van full of laughter and crazy stories. Hope they didn't harass too many people or manage to do anything that would require them ducking if a police cruiser drove by. Just glad Grace can have these crazy memories in the midst of tests, research papers, & everyday stress.

3 comments:

  1. Good for you! And Grace is building those memories thanks to you :)
    Your story brought back many crazy thoughts of my own time in high school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember some of those crazy things you speak of. We were partners in crime in some of them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. well, Barb I was going to use a few examples but wasn't sure how to explain things like talking to cows, bringing old men back to class with us or my famous quote "I never spill beer"

    ReplyDelete