Friday, September 30, 2011

Kindergarten or High School

Grace's mornings are spent in a kindergarten class. She works in the class her first two periods.
I'm amazed at what a different world we enter when we get back to high school. In kindergarten everyone loves their teacher, in high school? There are some teachers the kids enjoy, but it's not a kindergarten love. Those kindergartners can't wait to get to school, high school? Not so much.
 If there's an event or special activity in kindergarten everyone is excited and participates, high school? Nope!
In kindergarten if your best friend looks at you wrong you don't notice. in high school........well everyone knows the evil they've done to you, yes everyone! But then again kindergartners don't have facebook, twitter, etc..
I think one of the biggest differences is language. The other day a kindergartner corrected his teacher because she said "shoot" apparently that's not a nice word to use. Oh honey wait till you get to high school. I can almost guarantee you wont hear shoot very often, but the alternative isn't any nicer. High school language is appalling, even in classrooms. I don't know if teachers have become immune to it or if it's just that nothing would get taught if they stopped every time they heard a 'shoot' word.
So, seems there are a few differences between kindergartners and high schoolers.
Maybe the high school teachers should sing little rhyming songs and break out some little chairs to sit in. I can just imagine the groans we'd hear if the teacher announced that Grace was going to be the student of the week, she'd get to sit next to the teacher all week and share all about herself. Hmmmm bet she'd want to say.................."shoot"

3 comments:

  1. Alberta it couldn't hurt LOL I am always so impressed with your writing ability I really think you need to write a book!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your post. I disagree about the part where you offer an excuse for teachers not correcting the bad language though. I correct ALWAYS! And guess what I have a very low incidence of kids swearing in my classes. Often when they do there are other students who correct before I even have a chance. I usually ask them if they would talk to their mother or grandmother like that and 9 times out of ten they say no way. To which I tell them that I am a mother so I should be afforded the same respect. I also point out to the boys that they should refrain because there are ladies present and then have them apologize to all the girls in the room. To the girls I tell them that they are ladies and if they want to be treated as such then they need to act like ladies and refrain from such unlady-like behavior. I also do not tolerate "shut up" and ask the kids if they ever watched sesame street where big bird taught manners (that usually gets a chuckle but they get my point). I think those teachers who don't correctare just lazy.

    ReplyDelete