Wednesday, April 13, 2011

getting my soap box polished for this

Hello. Oh just one moment while I drag my soap box over..................OK I hope I don't fall off, sure feel tall up here.
To all the bureaucrats that decided our kids need state testing to see if they've learned the state standards that the teachers aren't supposed to teach to. You suck!!!   It amazes me that every year since 3rd grade the students have been tested to check what they've learned. Of course their grades aren't effected. but the school's "grade" is. Numbers get thrown around for months. Did everyone perform better than the previous year? Did the school's rating improve? Will they continue to get their money? Are we worried about numbers or people?
It's crazy to me that the students spend at least a week before testing to  review for the tests, then about a week is spent taking the tests. the clincher is...........not all the materials have been taught yet. They still have 5 or 6 weeks of school left! So the standards that are so precious that they have to be tested on haven't been presented to the people taking the tests.
And to top things off NO minimum days, used to get to go home early after the pressure of " Do your best! set a goal higher than last year!" Geesh at least when Grace was younger she at least got tasty snacks on testing days. No more.
I don't know how many times she's had administrators tell her this week that they "need" her scores. She's starting to feel as if she's just a score to them.
Don't even get me started on the other number to worry about; SATs..........Ok I'm climbing off my box now. Will gladly pass it along to the next person. just don't take it too far. It's only Wednesday, we still have a couple of days of testing left I may need another climb on that box. :)

1 comment: