Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Some things only take 5 months

A week before Thanksgiving, Grace insisted I make an appointment to have her wheelchair's joystick looked at for some repairs. It was starting to malfunction and she knew it would die, since she had the same thing happen the year before. So we made the appointment and the sales rep said he knew what the problem was, and if we could bring in her old joystick ( from the previous years' repair) he'd call in a favor and get it fixed  NO problem( famous last words). So we did as asked and waited, and waited, and waited.
About a month later I called to see where things stood. The report I got was that he was still waiting for us to bring the old joystick. It took a couple of days to get that problem fixed. And, we waited , waited waited some more.
During this time her chair did some interesting things, it would surge and send her flying across the room, it would just stop and not move, (seemed to pick rainy days for the stopping because I'm a stubborn mule routine) . And our favorite trick, going on its own across the room. look ma no hands!!!!
Anyway, I digress I would make routine calls and get the run around, I'm generally a patient non-aggressive person when dealing with people on the phone as I recognize someone is just trying to do their job and probably has no clue what or who I'm talking about. But I really was getting fed up. I was hearing from Grace almost daily about her "stupid chair."
At last, I was told that the company wasn't doing the favor we were told about and they were waiting for authorization for the repair. Well, that was closer that 3 months previous excuse. And yet again we waited, and waited, and waited.............. Finally!!! yesterday Grace got her chair fixed. She's a speed demon once again. Don't stand too close and watch your toes if you do. It's almost like she has to relearn what the chair is capable of.  They say patience is a virtue.........I don't know that I'm convinced.

No comments:

Post a Comment