Tuesday, January 18, 2011

To Speak or Not To Speak

There are days I don't appreciate being at school, I try to stay in the background and let Grace tackle school problems on her own. But some days it's difficult to judge when to pipe up and when to wait. Today was one of those days.
Grace has a poetry project due tomorrow, she was absent when it was assigned therefor didn't have the first week to work on it that the other students did. She also wasn't assigned her poet to write a biography of and analyse a poem of until last Thursday. Today she asked her teacher for some more time, explaining that she's having some trouble keeping up because she was absent. The teacher's response was to let her think about it. OH MY!! I felt my pin feathers start to ruffle, at the end of  the class the teacher asked Grace how much she had finished and asked her to try to turn it in Friday so she could grade it over the weekend.
I understand it's not the teacher's fault Grace was absent, but on the other hand Grace didn't ask to be sick all week either. She also didn't ask to have a medical condition that tires her out and makes bouncing back from a cold take longer than the average bear.I believe the school district policy is to give students two days to make up missed work. Not sure if that is two days per day absent or just two days period. But I don't really care what the policy says.
Grace has an IEP that states she can have extra time to complete work, and that she has never abused this privilege. That is just for a regular day, not a day she's missed. Grace is convinced this woman hates her, and doesn't want to see her succeed. I'm sure that isn't true, but my dilemma was weather or not to show the teacher a copy of Grace's IEP and explain it is a legal agreement between the school and the family.
 For now I will leave it alone. Grace will probably be finished with the work, she worked for two hours tonight. Either way she shouldn't be marked down for turning it in Friday or Monday.I know Grace isn't afraid to speak for herself and I have to weigh what I would do if I weren't at school with her every day.
 I also think I need to speak to someone concerning what teachers do and don't know about Grace's situation. She's going to have a life time of explaining and standing up for herself ahead of her. I guess this is as good a time as any to see how she handles things. Guess I just need to let her know that I'm available to do my part, of course after I've counted to ten,  taken a deep breath, and smoothed my feathers.  Cluck!

2 comments:

  1. You are such an awesome mom! Grace is blessed to have you. I think however you handle this... it'll be right. Cluck!

    ReplyDelete