Friday, August 20, 2010

Gryke

Learned a new word today. I was reading a book that had a word I'd never run across before. I was pretty sure of what it meant because of the way it was used. I love words, I admit I don't know near enough of them or the proper way to use them, but I still enjoy a new word now & then. Now this word was one I'd never run across, the two dictionaries I looked at didn't have the word in it. I could just hear my 6th grade teacher, Mr Phillips, telling me to "look it up in the dictionary". I finally went where any highschool student goes -------to the English teacher! She looked online for me and solved my dilema.........YAY. Not too sure I'll have a chance to use this word, unless a nasty game of scrabble comes my way. I'd love one by the way! So here's the word of the day for me. Happy Weekend !!!!!
World English Dictionary


gryke (ɡraɪk)
— n
a solution fissure, a vertical crack about 0.5 m wide formed by the dissolving of limestone by water, that divides an exposed limestone surface into sections or clints

No comments:

Post a Comment