Thursday, August 19, 2010

what's your name?

My daughter noticed yesterday that most of her teachers don't call their students by their name. I hadn't noticed, probably because I don't need to be called on and because since Grace is the only kid in a wheelchair at the school, the teachers always know her name.But I payed closer attention today, I can see some of the teachers are learning names, but more teachers than not are just pointing at students when they call on them, even if they have assigned seats and a seating chart to refer to. I know they have many students, but it's a small community at this high school. I remember back to my pre school teaching days, there was always at least one "invisible" child in every class. You know, the one that is very shy, and quiet. I always made it a point to try to draw them into the activities and help them feel comfortable. It seemed they were usually very intelligent, and loads of fun. just wondering how many teachers are missing out on getting to know those "invisible" high school students that they influence every day.

2 comments:

  1. It's sad when someone "slips through the cracks." I always tried to think about the kids in the class and ask myself who I could know better. I don't see how high school should be any different...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really too bad they could be missing out on so much! It seems the special teachers are the ones that go out of their way to know their students, like you did.

    ReplyDelete